Tuesday, May 01, 2007

And then there's maudlin...

Finally heard back from Henry...he likes the beginning of the new book, though he warned against being too maudlin. I think maudlin might be my specialty. Anyway, we had a nice chat about it, and I plan to dive in again soon.

Good news here is that school is OVER come Friday. I actually teach my last class tomorrow morning. I have a hell of a lot of grading to do, but at least I can park myself in the hammock to do that.

I am always buzzing with a sense of possibility this time of year...one of many carryovers of childhood, I think. I am making lists all over the place...summer projects, reading lists, writing goals, etc... I am so excited to work on my photography. The new goal is to have an exhibit of work up at the Atlas's gallery by the end of the year. Poetry is not going so well, and I am debating whether or not I should quit. I'm actually starting to dread writing the poem a day (and, to be honest, I'm a few days behind). I have over a hundred poems, and I think I miss my novel. Would that just be terrible? I hate quitting things, but I also don't want poetry to become a sort of torture either...

Oh yeah....other big news here is that I got my hair cut. A lot. It's the best haircut I've ever had. I feel like some sort of sassy mama now :)

2 comments:

Kathryn Peterson said...

Hi T.! (It's me, Kathryn, the one who asked you all the Munchausen questions awhile back) I think it's funny how writing teachers everywhere seem to have a lot in common this time of year. I could so relate to this post--about the sense of possibility, the tons of grading, and even the haircut!!!

Regarding the poetry (and this is from someone who knows beyond a doubt she is not a poet): If it is feeling that torturous, why not give it a rest for a day or so and write where your passion is? I know you're doing this as a challenge to yourself, but it doesn't seem right for it to be that torturous.

And by the way, one of my students asked me how to write a sad story without getting maudlin just a week or so ago. I think it's in the Zeitgeist of the season . . .

I also wanted you to know that Nearer than the Sky has been/is being favorably discussed on the Julie Gregory forum at juliegregory.com . Several MbP survivors have written to say how inspiring it is, and a couple have commented on what joy you have for your life and your work. Bravo!

T. Greenwood said...

Thanks, Kathryn! And I have decided to let the poetry rest. I have a decent collection that I feel good about...and I'm feeling more excited about my photography project now anyway. I have creative ADD...