Tuesday, February 28, 2006

No word. Still.

I have a brilliant student. Being prone to procrastination, I waited until this morning to read the stories for today's class. And so bleary-eyed and not yet caffeinated I sat down to read and was absolutely blown away (goose-bumps and all) by one of the stories. I have never really had that happen before. I have definitely had talented students, but not of this caliber. I'm not even sure how to go about critiquing the story.

Still no word from the agent. I woke up at 4:00 again this morning and realized that I should probably come up with a back-up plan. I have no idea what to do with this book if he doesn't want it. I have warned P that I am on the edge of losing it. That I might just take the MCATS and go to medical school I have one more failure with my writing. I know it's extreme, but my ego has been so battered in the last few years, I'm ready to do something that has tangible -- and immediate -- rewards. I probably should opt for something that won't put me further into student loan debt. I have a friend who just went to Africa and helped build a house for Habitat for the Humanities. Maybe that's what I should do. I wonder if they let you bring along toddlers.

Esmee is obsessed with the movie, "Annie." She watches it every morning. She still can't form a sentence, but she can wordlessly sing the soundtrack with perfect pitch. When she was an infant, she could replicate any note I sang. It was a little creepy.

I'll be hanging out waiting today. Banging my head on my desk.

No comments: