Wednesday, September 20, 2006

To Do

I really thought that having two mornings a week completely to myself would be exactly what I needed. I imagined myself writing away, being pro-active with my lesson plans, and cooking lavish and healthy meals to be served to my adoring family come dinner time. What has actually happened is that when the door closes and the rest of the family is gone, I find myself filled with anxiety, making elaborate lists of menial things that need to be done and then spending thenext several hours trying to prioritize and execute these items, feeling guilty the whole time that I am neither writing nor planning nor cooking anything other than my own daily breakfast burrito when I realize I've forgotten to eat. For example. Today I envisioned making a reading list, outlining some major scenes for the book, and actually reading some. What I did do:
  • balanced the checking account
  • stressed out
  • paid the car payment
  • stressed out about the clunking sound that's happening somewhere in my driver's side wheel
  • went grocery shopping (the kids went to school with the most ridiculous excuses for lunch ever -- plums, hard-boiled eggs, and juice boxes)
  • planned my lesson for tomorrow
  • sent out a bunch of e-mails trying to procure either payment for the various and random jobs I do, or to actually procure the jobs themselves
  • said "Hi" to P, who came home to grab the car emissions test paperwork
  • stressed out about the car emissions test
  • said "Bye" to P, who probably sensed how stressed out I was and decided that anywhere might be better than here
  • made a breakfast burrito while talking on the phone to someone about payment for one of my various and random jobs, spoke to someone else about a new possible job
  • returned my dad's call
  • and now it's 11:30 and I have a half hour before I leave to pick up the girls

I've been having dreams where my entire world is falling apart. Last week I dreamed that we lost Kicky in an airport. I also dreamed a bunch of hippie kids took over the treehouse and turned into a sort of hip after hours club. Last night's dreams were too bizarre to mention. They've been lingering with me all morning though. I need to cut down on the caffeine. I need to get back to writing. I need the beach.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I like the new website, very original and creative design!

I too stress about strange sounds my car makes, oddly, I'm the only one who can hear them...

K